Getting Our Students Ready for Work
Our careers provision is second-to-none, helping all of our students’ progress on to apprenticeships, university or employment. Our aim is to ensure every student will experience a careers programme of activities that gives an insight into employability competencies, practical occupational knowledge and key recruitment skills to make sure they are equipped for life outside the academy.
- raising aspirations and increasing motivation by helping young people identify
educational and occupational goals
- demonstrating the relevance of the knowledge and skills learnt in subjects to
future opportunities in learning and working
- providing work enrichment opportunities including work experience, workplace
visits, guest speakers and site visits.
You can see our details of our Careers Programme below:
Careers Programme at WMG Academy Solihull
Mrs Archer, the designated Careers Leader, is on site five days a week from 9:30 to 2:30pm, and is open to collaborating with potential employers and Higher Education institutions. If you would like to work with us, or if you are a parent/carer or prospective student with questions, then please get in touch: r.archer@wmgacademy.
Mrs Morris, Associate Principal, is the designated senior leader responsible for careers information and guidance.
Our Link Governor for careers is Mr R Earp.
As an academy, we are committed to upholding the eight Gatsby Benchmarks of Good Career Guidance and the Baker Clause. This includes:
- Preparation and support for work experience applications and apprenticeships
- University workshops delivered by professionals from University of Warwick and Coventry University
- Guest speakers from various industries giving updates on apprenticeship opportunities, local labour market information and company insights.
- Visits and industry insights organised in collaboration with subject areas linking
curriculum to careers
In addition, the students receive daily news on various opportunities including summer school programmes, subject masterclasses, open days, work experience, career insights and current apprenticeships and employment vacancies.
Our career plans are assessed three times a year using the Careers and Enterprise Compass evaluation tool to ensure we are in line with the Gatsby Benchmarks and to continually improve. We also routinely ask for feedback from teachers, employers, parents and students to understand the impact of our plans and target areas of improvement. Ultimately our goal is for every student to have a positive destination after our academy, which includes further and higher education, apprenticeships or employment.
The career plans are reviewed annually, the next review will be July 2024.
Try the Careerometer
Click on the widget below and type in a job title to find out information such as salaries and how many vacancies are predicted.
Parents’ and Carers’ Guides
Please click here to see the Parents’ Guide To Apprenticeships
We value the support our parents and carers give our students and we wish to enable access to all information and resources to help explore students’ choices. A Careers Bulletin is sent every half-term to create awareness of local events, opportunities and options for our students. Below are links to support career conversations:
- Please click here to view the latest Parent & Carers’ Packs that are updated monthly
- For further information about navigating Apprenticeships please click here for Apprenticeships: Hints and Tips for Parents and Carers
- To support your student into Higher Education and University, please click here for UCAS- Advice for Parents, Guardians and Carers
As a UTC we pride ourselves in our employer engagements and the expertise our network delivers to our students to prepare them for life beyond academia. We embrace companies that share our values and can support us to meet the Gatsby Benchmarks.
If you are a local employer who wants to get involved at WMG Academy for Young Engineers Solihull, be it a presentation, workshop, STEM event, enrichment opportunity or commission a project, we would love to hear from you. Please get in touch with Mrs Archer, the designated Careers Leader via email to [email protected].
Please find the CEIAG and Provider Access Policy below.
Provider Access Policy
Here are some UTC Destinations from our students.